Monday, January 7, 2013

Characters

As a writer, I have created several characters that I have grown to love immensely. Sure, there have been characters that I liked for a moment, used them for their purpose, and then disposed of them painlessly, but there have been some characters that I can't imagine letting go of so easily. Why is that? Is it the effort I put into them? Not exactly. The more human I make a character, then more I enjoy them. Maybe that's true for everybody or just me. I'm not exactly sure. I am thinking of three characters right now who have tugged at my heartstrings and I remember them quite fondly. One I used years ago and two that are relatively new that I have created entire biographies for.

On a roleplaying site I visit daily, I asked the question: "Recycle or Generate? Do you re-use your characters?" I answered, prematurely, that I don't recycle characters. I generate new ones for every roleplay. While that is partially true, I sold myself short. I have recycled only three of my characters, the characters I mentioned above. One is now retired, having died a horrific death at the hands of her lover. The other two are still alive and well, mostly well.

Where am I going with this? I leave to eat some supper and I come back having completely lost my train of thought. Buggers.

I guess I'll just leave this with a simple question to my fellow writers: When it comes to creating your characters, what is the most important thing to remember?

1 comment: